Monday, December 10, 2007

Internet

This post has to be very short and to the point. Partner hospital in Ndanda provides 100MB/ month free internet. Surprise phone call from the hospital administrator informed me that I have used 750MB the first week of December (1/3 of entire hospital MB). The extra internet equals my month's salary!

Aside from internet, have been busy with work. Was on call last Thursday and had another ruptured ectopic. She came around 9pm, with classic signs - acute abdomen, CMT, and free fluid in the pelvis. Went to the OR for salpingectomy. I'm surprised how many ectopics I see here, although not quite as surprising considering prevalence of PID is high.
Today was another busy day - TAH/possible Myomectomy on the schedule. The patient was thirty four, never pregnant and desired fertility, she had symptomatic fibroids, so I told her I will try to do a myomectomy - she had a large pedunculated 18 week size uterus, and a few smaller intramural fibroids; removed large pedunculated fibroid. Hopefully she can become pregnant. I saw a couple outpatients after that then the word from maternity came that there was a c-section for obstructed labor. I was told she came in labor and made it to complete but could not push. I did the c-section, unfortunately the baby had apgars of 0,0! probably chronic hypoxemia! I have to review the chart and see what the problem was.
Heading to Dar Es Salaam on Sunday and then to Zanzibar for holiday next week. Will take lots of pictures. Hope everyone is doing well back home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your vacation. Justin and I have been discussing when we should try to visit. Do you think we would need to get vaccinations before visiting ? We should probably take some malaria prophylaxis.