Monday, February 11, 2008

Weekend

It rained most of the day yesterday. We got a brief downpour and then a steady light mist....its cooled things off, so its not as humid.
I was on call yesterday. Early start with a repeat c-section (prior c-section x2 in labor).
Around noon, I had another case of trauma to the head with a scalp laceration that needed suturing.
The rain picked up by mid afternoon. I thought would keep patients away.....got a call from male surgical ward to see a 21 year old who fell off his bicycle while riding downhill. Apparently lost control because of the slippery road and fell on his knee. He had a compound distal femur fracture, that required emergency traction/repositioning. I called the general surgeon; Emergency turned into a wait of about an hour before the "theatre" nurse arrived with the key to open the doors to the OR. At least I was home by 10 and ready to call it a night.
Read a little bit - "The famished road" - very interesting read by an African author, Ben Okri - surreal fictional story of a boy living in between a world of reality and spirits. I fell asleep reading only to be woken up by ward 6 calling to see a woman who came in after a physical assault by her husband with bruises to her eyes, and pain and swelling in the ribs. She's admitted for safety, pain control and for xrays to rule out fractures today. And I'm not sure what the policy is regarding reporting domestic violence. Back home and switched the lights off only to get another call about 15 minutes later again from the female surgical ward to see a woman who came in after falling down in her house. She smelled heavily of alcohol and had minor bruises to her arm. Disposition - to home with brufen, avoiding further alcohol.
The rain stopped by this morning, leaving overcast skies, and a cooler temperature. I had a scheduled repeat c-section this morning, followed by laparotomy for pelvic mass that revealed a pyosalpinx, peritonitis and appendicitis. The outpatient department was relatively quiet, so I was back home by 3.
I stopped by the bank to see if my check had cleared after depositing a predeparture allowance from VSO back in December. "Bado" I'm told (meaning not yet). At first I was getting angry and frustrated by how slow the bank and postal service operates but by now I think I've become a little more patient. We were taught by our Kiswahili teachers in Morogoro "TIT" meaning This is Tanzania - an accronym that they (Tanzanian's) use when service is slow!

No comments: