Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Fishing

I went fishing on Sunday. Here I am with two local fisherman aboard their handmade wooden boat. We set out about 8 in the morning into Lindi Bay heading due east toward the Indian Ocean. We first headed out a bit north to pick up our bait which consisted of "daga" or little fish. We set out further into the bay, made one stop along a remote beach to pick up some logs in order to build a small roof for the boat to protect us from the blazing heat of the sun. We set out further into the bay and started fishing.

We caught six or seven small fish - bluefish, redsnapper, "changu", two fish called the "double beard" fish or in Kiswahili is called Mchuichui, or something like that. There were 3 local fisherman, myself and one German development worker whom I recently met in the town.


It was just a nice day to be out in the bay! I personally didn't catch any fish but I was there to take pictures and offer my encouragement and moral support. Go to my facebook page to see the rest of the pictures from my fishing excursion.

No comments: