Monday, June 8, 2009

Remembering Chitanda

Chitanda was one of the two x-ray technicians working in the hospital. He died early this morning in the hospital due to severe Malaria and pneumonia.

Chitanda was probably in his mid fifties and had worked at the hospital for over twenty years! Since I started work in September I saw him every day working as usual. He was an integral part of the x-ray department! I come to x-ray to scan patients for ultrasound and perform HSG's (Hysterosalpingograms) - a study used to evaluate patients with infertility and other gynecologic disorders. I could always tell if the HSG showed some significant finding by the look on Chitanda's face when he came out of the developing room with the film. If there was a smile on his face, the patient either had some evidence of tubal disease or a uterine filling defect. If his face was expressionless, the study was probably normal:)

I spent much of the day today in the x-ray department and I couldn't help but spend most my time feeling sorry for Chitanda's family and for his long time friend and co-worker, Juma, who like Chitanda has worked in the x-ray department for over twenty years, and spent almost everyday working together with his friend and co-worker.

Chitanda was admitted to the hospital with Malaria last week, then discharged home after about five to seven days of treatment; then he was re-admitted a few days ago. His condition deteriorated and he passed away this morning. I stopped by his room in the hospital to check on him and give him my condolensces last week, and was expecting he would bounce back in no time! But unfortunately he did not make it.

Chitanda's funeral service will be tomorrow morning. I am really hoping to attend, but these days a number of the clinical officers are away from the hospital and as we're short staffed already, I'm afraid I'm probably going to be spending the day in the hospital and clinic.

My condolensces to all of Chitanda's family and friends who will be at the funeral tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's appropriate time to make a few plans for the future and it is time to be happy. I have learn this post and if I may I want to suggest you few fascinating things or tips. Maybe you could write next articles relating to this article. I desire to learn even more issues about it!

Here is my site ringing in ears treatment
My website - ringing in ears treatment