Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April Fools




Yesterday morning my 'program manager' in Dar Es Salaam called to tell me that the VSO office is conducting an Evacuation Test. If, for example, there was political unrest in the country and all volunteers were needed to evacuate, we would need you to follow the following instructions, he said. He told me that I must go to Mtwara right away. From there I would go straight to the airport, board a flight to Dar Es Salaam and get a connecting flight to the US. He asked me if I would be able to leave the hospital right away or if I would prefer he would call the Doctor in Charge of the hospital. I told him to call the Doctor in Charge. Two minutes later he called me and told me that a car would be available for me to leave the hospital. He told me that I should pay for the fuel to take me to Mtwara and then I would be reimbursed once I arrive in Dar. He said that the VSO office will be closed for four weeks during this evacuation, so I should plan to pack my bags to stay out of the country for the entire four weeks! I told him that I am really not ready to take a two hour drive to Mtwara, fly to Dar and then potentially fly back to the US, especially having just recently flown back here from the US. He told me I should go ahead and pack my bags and take the car to Mtwara. He said I should expect a call in two hours to get an update. I said to him, 'do you really want me to take a car to Mtwara even though this is a test?' and he said yes - I should go ahead and do it! I said 'But I don't have a ticket to fly to Dar!' He said yes, you do, an e-ticket has already been issued for you which you will receive at the airport. And once you get to Dar you will receive the e-ticket to return to the US'. He told me I would be flying Emirates and have a layover in Dubai. After more questions and more answers, he convinced me that I needed to get in the car and leave Lindi.

So I found the hospital driver, went to my house, packed a couple of suitcases and then began the drive to Mtwara. Two hours later my phone rings; my program manager tells me that I must return to Lindi right away; this was just a test. A test! What?? He said 'I thought I made myself clear on the phone', you were not supposed to leave Lindi!

I don't know if I was the victim of a bad April fools joke or if I just completey misunderstood my manager in Dar, but what a frustratingly painful thing that was to go through yesterday. I wasn't laughing when we had to stop the car and turn around an hour and a half away from Lindi!

Apparently the program manager's 'Evacuation Test' had the same effect on many of the other volunteers in the region who were also en route to Mtwara! There was an apologetic email sent out to all the volunteers who, like me, took the Evacuation Test seriously.

On a better note, today was a productive day. I had one operation scheduled this morning - an abdominal hysterectomy on a perimenopausal woman with a large fibroid uterus. The uterus was about three times the size of normal with large fibroids. The case went smoothly without any complications. I spent the afternoon in and out of the clinic as well as in ultrasound, scanning a few patients.

Happy April Fools Day!
More to come from the most gullible volunteer in Tanzania!

1 comment:

dhorlic said...

Happy April Fools Day :-)