Thursday, April 9, 2009

Duty Calls




Its been so busy at the hospital this week. Maybe because Tuesday was a national holiday and as well tomorrow and Monday are holidays. Everyone who is sick or just passing by the hospital is coming in for a health check up. It looked like hundreds of people had gathered around the reception area this morning to get a chart in order to see a doctor. About forty or fifty patients were seen in the ob/gyn room. Patients had everything from normal pregnancies to various gyn cancers.

I started the day with one elective cesarian section for a woman in her third pregnancy at term who has a "bad obstetric history". She delivered a healthy male who came out screaming.

After the elective c-section, I went to the OPD to see patients and then finished the day at ultrasound scanning patients. I saw a few interesting cases - one patient was a consult - she came with acute appendicitis and one woman I scanned had a bladder cancer.

I was home by about 5 and ate one of my favorite dishes - baked chicken with rice and vegetables.

The sun sets around 6:30 these days and if I'm lucky to have electricity at night I've been spending my evenings relaxing watching the second season of "Dexter" on DVD or doing some light reading.

I've notified the hospital here in Lindi that I'll be returning home to the States early. June 23rd is my expected date of departure from Tanzania. I'm planning to spend the weekend of the 19th up north around Arusha and Serengeti National Park.

For those who don't know already, I signed a contract for work when I was back home in the US last month. I'm going to work for Carlisle Regional Medical Center in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. July 13th is my start date! Very excited! Carlisle is about two hours from DC/NY and Baltimore in Central/Southern, PA close to Hershey and Harrisburg. See the website www.carlislermc.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congrats on the new job! call me.

-kevin