Wednesday, November 21, 2007

City Slickers


Last night I was on call again, and it was almost the best call night I've ever had......until about 3am.

At 3 am labor and delivery called to say that twins were in labor. Excellent I thought! But the presenting twin was breech. When twins are in labor and the presenting twin is breech, that means one thing - warm up the OR and get ready for a c-section.

By the time all the necessary people arrived (nurses, scrub techs, anesthestist, ect) it was around 4). The c-section went well and both babies had apgars of 9 and 10. I was back home by about a quarter past 5 and then slept for another hour, with many fond memories of residency calls doing c-sections at odd hours of the night.

I was walking home from the market the other day and passed this herd of cows and goats as they were passing by my house. I happened to have my camera with me, so a good time for a photo op. The herd reminded me of one of the scenes from the movie "City Slickers".....

Well, I hope everyone is well back home. In case you don't have my new email, neil@ndanda.net or we can talk with Skype (Skype is free to download and lets you talk online anytime). Please keep me in the loop of all of the news/events/rumors/gossip that is going on!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Neil! We'll miss you at the dinner table tonight. Good luck with all of those on call shifts!

Anonymous said...

Hi Neil. I've been reading some of your recent blogs. What an amazing experience you are having! The animal herd looks good in this pic. I have one more month of work on the farm in California, after which I am probably moving to Utah to do some farming research at the university.

Anonymous said...

Hi Neil,
Just came back from Thanksgiving dinner and need to borrow that black shirt of yours to hide the weight gain from all the carbs of the evening. Enjoying having Jeff and David here for a few days. Love reading about your adventures!

Neil said...

Thanks for reading! Say hi to Jeff and David! hope you are doing well.