Friday, November 9, 2007

Theatre




Finally I started work in the OR (aka the "theatre).
For me it was a perfect day to start in the theatre because we had one scheduled total abdominal hysterectomy, and one emergency c-section for fetal distress... in between there was a minor orthopedic case that I scrubbed to assist the general surgeon....
The first patient was severely anemic due to fibroids with a hemoglobin around 6. (There is blood available in the hospital but its used very sparingly). Fortunately, the case was uncomplicated and we finished within an hour. The patient did not loose that much blood but she received a unit of blood immediately after the case. (BTW there is no offical Estimated Blood Loss documented), infact a lot of information is just not being recorded by the anesthestists or even some of the doctors....
Supplies are limited, eg - preop antibiotics are not given (because the hospital is in short supply) and lower extremity sequential compression devices are not available. Surprisingly, I'm told that there are not that many post op infections or DVTs......
Second on the OR schedule was an orthopedic case - removal of a plate after an ORIF. A short, straight forward case for the general surgeon, who I was definitely pleased to see has very strong surgical skills.....(BTW I just assisted on the ortho case today to get more time in the theatre....)
Soon after the ortho case, a woman was brought from L&D for an "emergency c-section."
For an "emergency c-section" the nurses and anesthetists worked very slow, but we were quick to deliver the baby who had apgars of "10 and 10" :)
The working day ends at around three or three-thirty which is definitely nice! However, I'm going to be working six days a week. And, seems as though I will be taking some "surgical calls"....
The picture is of the market that I go to to buy my fruits and vegetables. Everything is very fresh, and now its mango season, so it is the best time to buy fresh mangos in Ndanda.
My next post will have to have a picture of me, or at least the hospital as requested by Justin. (BTW, Justin and everyone else thank you for reading and writing comments) Justin, I didn't get a chance to talk to you before I left, I hope you and Jaime are doing well. Stay in touch.

5 comments:

Aunt Mel said...

Wow thank you for all these pics and messages...we all find them very interesting. Especially Marissa and Tommy......I am sure this is all so exciting for you.....I wish I had your address though I would send you a care package with food and a cookbook.....Take care and keep these coming. They are wonderful

Neil said...

Thanks for reading and writing. I'm glad Marissa and Tommy find it interesting, please say hi for me.

My address is:

St. Benedict's Hospital
P.O. Box 3
Ndanda, Mtwara Region
Tanzania, East Africa

Allan Horlick said...

Neil,

Congratulations on a very big day....if I'm not mistaken your first post-Residency shift directly in your field! Thanks too for sending the picture of your market. It kind of reminds me of the Publix in Boca Raton!

Dad

dhorlic said...

The following is from Aunt Wendy:

I was reading today's entry while talking to your mom and I mistakenly thought the picture posted was that of the OR (as you referred to it in the first sentence)...it cracked your mom up. Glad I was wrong. Please send photo of the real OR.

Love,

Aunt Wendy

Anonymous said...

Good post.