Friday, August 8, 2008

Back to Tanzania


Its been a while since I last blogged!! I almost forgot the joy in waiting forever for my images to get uploaded:)
Well I returned safely back to Tanzania yesterday. As most of you know I had been in the U.S. for the last 3 weeks. I had a wonderful time at my sister Ellen's wedding. Congratulations to Ellen and David who are probably sipping Mai Tai's in Maui right now:)
I am so happy for my sister and I'm so happy to have been able to make it to the wedding to see family and friends and to meet most of the people who actually read this blog!! Great to see my cousins Jeff and David! And to see my parents friends after such a long time and meet new ones who work at Channel Nine or who flew into DC from Boca to go to the wedding. It was great to share some stories with you! And most importantly to know that you are still reading my blog. Its heartwarming to know that even people I had met for the first time actually really appreciate the work that's being done.
The entire wedding weekend was great. Loved seeing family and friends again and meeting many new people including David Levin's (my new brother-in-law) family. But especially enjoyed two golf games (thank you Stan Levin for setting up golf at Westwood). I'm sorry I didn't bring my A game. And thank you Rob Ades!! for the golf game at Woodmont! I played a little bit better at Woodmont but sadly my short game had suffered while I was away. Who would have guessed!
Things here in Tanzania started off a little bit shaky. Had a bit of a scare yesterday as my checked luggage did not arrive, but fortunately everything arrived today as I just returned from the airport (again). The flights were comfortable. 13 hours to Dubai and then 5 hours to Dar Es Salaam. I'm staying in the same hotel - Econo Lodge, which is located in the city center and has affordable prices (although they did hike up the price by 10% since the last time I stayed).
My program manager in Dar Es Salaam confirmed that I will begin working at Sokoine Hospital in Lindi probably beginning the first week in September. I am still waiting for accomodations to be finalized and because I have switched placements and now working in a different 'region' I am awaiting a new working permit - which should not take too long. The accomodation is the limiting factor - timewise.
As far as the work goes I will again be working as one of very few doctors in the hospital, with focus on strengthening the ob/gyn departments, reducing neonatal and maternal morbidity and mortality, as well as part time teaching of clinical officers.
My work probably won't start again for another three weeks, but I 'm glad to be back in Tanzania and looking forward to traveling around a bit before starting work again. Considering a small trip up north to Arusha or else south to Cape Town, South Africa.
I will still be using the same emails (nhorlic@aol.com) and neil@ndanda.net so please email and stay in touch!
The pictures were taken in Lindi (a larger city compared to my previous home in Ndanda), located right on the Indian Ocean. The first picture was taken right on the coast and the bottom picture of one of the side streets in town.

1 comment:

Allan Horlick said...

aNeil,

Glad to see you are back in the blogging business! Keep 'em coming.

Dad