Sunday, August 17, 2008

Mwanza


Greetings from Mwanza, Tanzania, the country’s second largest city. Located on the southern coast of Lake Victoria in Northern Tanzania the city has some impressive views! After a very long bus ride from Dar, I arrived in Mwanza early Sunday morning. I checked into the New Rehema Hotel, took a quick shower and fell asleep. I woke up by late morning, headed to the pier and bought a boat ticket to Bukoba. My original plan was to take the 9pm boat Sunday evening which would arrive in Bukoba Monday morning. But was informed the Sunday evening boat was full so instead booked a ticket on the next boat out of Mwanza - Tuesday evening.

Left Dar Es Salaam’s Ubungo bus terminal on the Mohammed Trans at 6 o’clock Saturday morning. The trip from Dar to Mwanza took a total of 20 hours! We had one 'layover' in Nzega, Tabora region. I was expecting to spend 14 hours on the bus as the bus line manager informed me when I bought my ticket, but somehow we ended up spending an additional 6 hours on the bus!! It took longer to go from Dar Es Salaam to Mwanza than it took to fly from NY to Dubai and Dubai to Dar Es Salaam combined!!

After a shower, nap and some food, I was back to feeling functional. Spent the day yesterday wandering around town and taking in some of the scenery.

At first I walked around the city center. Aside from a couple of new modern buildings, the city doesn't have any more appeal than Dar Es Salaam. There are wazungus although most are in transit between Bukoba/Uganda and either Dar or Arusha. I ate most of my meals at the Kaluna Pizzeria where most of the other wazungus eat. Spent one day walking east along the lake. There is a small town on the east bank of the lake that has a huge fish market. I thought I would see a couple of other wazungus but this was not the case.


Tonight I'm taking the 9pm boat to Bukoba to stay with some other VSO volunteer friends who are based in Bukoba. Hopefully I'll post some more pictures. The internet cafe here is twice as expensive and at least twice as slow as the one I'm used to in Dar!

Picture above: View looking north out to Lake Victoria, from the New Rehema Hotel

No comments: