Friday, October 26, 2007

Malaria


I've got Malaria. There is a mini- epidemic of Malaria going around our compound. As of today 3 teachers and now 6 volunteers have Malaria. I feel fine. I went to get tested because I was feeling very tired the last couple of days and a few other people found out that they have Malaria as well.
My test came back positive 2/7, which is relatively low, but still positive. So, I started taking the malaria treatment regimen.
Its ironic because I went to the dispensary earlier today to speak to the doctor to interview him about medicine and hospitals in Tanzania as an assignment, and I asked him how many cases of malaria he sees a day. Malaria is very common I was told and usually there are about 20 new cases of Malaria diagnosed at the St. Thomas dispensary every day.
Despite taking my Malaria prophylactic meds, sleeping under a mosquito netting, using DEET anti mosquito creams and sprays on clothes I managed to get Malaria. I guess I don't feel so bad because so many people here now have the disease. I'll have to take the treatment and get my test of cure in a couple of weeks.
I'm just wondering if I could make some money developing a t-shirt that reads "I came to Tanzania and all I got was a case of Malaria"

2 comments:

melodeenovak said...

Hope you get better soon!

Anonymous said...

Great idea for a t-shirt! I hope you feel better soon.