Friday, January 11, 2008

Donations




Call day on Wednesday was interesting. Started with a ruptured ectopic, then a c-section for obstructed labor. A D&C followed for retained placenta. I was back home resting by 1pm as usual. The call night itself was quiet until about 2am. I came to Maternity to assist in delivery. When I arrived the patient was complete and pushing. Review of the partograph showed entirely normal fetal heart tracing. Routine episiotomy cut b/c of tight introitus. Pt delivered with severe shoulder dystocia, nuchal cord, and terminal meconium. The baby died within 5 minutes after delivery.

Fetal heart tone monitoring in L&D uses Pinnard Fetoscopes, frustrating for me because documentation of short/long term variability is impossible. Frustrations continue. I've decided to publish wanted, classified ads in professional OB journals for used/old CTG/CEFM machines. Must be someone willing to donate to the hospital here. In the meantime I'm waiting for dopplers to arrive from Dar. Postal service operating very slowly this time of year!

Tomorrow is a Sikuku (holiday) here, no work. Going to relax tomorrow. Dinner with the neighbors, assignment to prepare a salad. Can't screw up salad, I think.
Sunday taking a day trip to Lindi, one of the larger near by cities on the coast. Maybe some snorkeling and wandering about the city for a while.....

Another picture of Stone Town, Zanzibar....many more to come.
Hope all is well back home.

3 comments:

Allan Horlick said...

Neil, I'd suggest you send an e-mail to me and some of your doctor buddies listing specifically what kind of equipment and other materials you need and we can contact hospitals over here to see about donations. In the meantime I'll share this blog with others next week and we'll see what's possible. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for you. Dad

Anonymous said...

How did the salad turn out? :-)

Anonymous said...

neil....so sorry to hear all the traumatic news. I will also pass this on to cousin Steve....and see what if anything he can do. Especially since he asked for your web site.