Friday, January 4, 2008

first blog of 2008




Hope your new year is off to a good start....any new year's resolutions?

The picture is from the coast of Zanzibar, taken from the dinner table at a restaurant on the beach. Hoping to upload the rest of the pics from Zanzibar soon, I can't on my laptop because I'll exceed my internet limit of 100MB and end up paying my months salaray again....

Its been back to work this past week. Got tested for Malaria yesterday b/c feeling a bit feverish and fatigued but had a negative result. Probably viral syndrome. Feeling better today. Biked up to the pond and swam for half an hour today....then just returned from dinner at the Abbey. Today we were served meat and rice. The other night we had pizza (surprisingly good).

At night I find myself either reading or watching DVD's. Its safe to say there is almost absolutely nothing to do here at night. In the last few weeks I've watched 3 seasons of "Prison Break" about 44 episodes (its addicting....) and now i'm in the middle of reading a couple of books....."The state of Africa" and "Footprints of God"....The first a very detailed history of Africa, before and after independance....and the second an interesting sci-fi book that made its way around Ndanda.

That's about it from here. I am on call tomorrow night.
Sunday we have a "Secret Santa" party with the nurses. I had to spend at least $5,000 schillings to buy one of the nurses a present. Someone unknown to me to do the same and then exchange on Sunday. Monday of course is my B-day. No special plans as of yet.....

5 comments:

dhorlic said...

I hope you enjoyed the party and you get to do something special for your b-day. Looking forward to seeing your pics from Zanzibar. Let me know when you get the latest package.

Dad & I wish you a very happy b-day :-)

Unknown said...

happy new year and happy birthday! hope you are able to enjoy it and do something memorable! maybe they can form some beans and rice into the shape of a cake for you. :)

the DR was nice and relaxing and definitely much warmer than the 10 degrees it was at home! justin was one of four guys to be pulled on stage one night during the entertainment to do an impression of michael jackson. he actually won the contest!!!

anyway, enjoy your birthday and know that we are thinking of you!
j and j

Kevin- the humping will stop once you get him neutered! in the meantime... how funny is it!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Neil!!!!! And Happy New Year! Thinking of you on your birthday and I hope you find some way to celebrate. Can't wait to see the photos of Zanzibar. Take care :-)

Aunt Mel said...

wow sounds like you are really making memories.....hope your bday is great and memorable.....happy new year

Neil said...

Justin - I'm impressed, winning a Michael Jackson impression contest...Please send me a copy of the video if you can!