Friday, November 7, 2008

Celebrating victories!

Time to celebrate! Like the majority of Americans I'm celebrating the news of the new presidential elect - Barak Obama. The news of his win on Tuesday was no doubt a historical event, and will be remembered as one of the great moments in history. For me its a little bit of a weird feeling to be living in Tanzania and watching coverage of the election so far from home. Albeit most Tanzanians are very happy with Obama's win, and most are celebrating but there is not the special feeling of unity and pride which I can imagine most Americans are feeling back home.

On a smaller scale I'm celebrating a victory of my own. Last night, for the first time in over a month, I took a shower! No, I didn't go a month without bathing, instead I was using the bucket over the head method, which was getting old very quickly! But after a month of persistance, patience and a little bit of luck, the plumber finally managed to fix my shower system and I can take a shower now like most of society, (although there is no hot water, but that is not something I can complain about!:) Its a small victory but a victory nonetheless and I was so happy to take a shower that I showered for almost a half an hour.....maybe I used about 500 liters of water or so, but it was definitely refreshing!

Its going to be a relaxing weekend. I'm planning to go to the beach, read and maybe go for a little swim in the Ocean. I received a bicycle from VSO the other day, so its much easier to bike to the beach (about 10-15 min. by bike) than it was before when I was using my two feet for transportation....

1 comment:

dhorlic said...

Mazel Tov on the shower :-)