Sunday, November 2, 2008

Raining mangos, a bloody dog, hospital news and trick or treators?

Its 2:00 in the morning and I wake up to the sound of a loud bang, like the sound of a gunshot. At first I'm startled, but then I realize that its mango season and a mango has just fallen from the tree and hit the roof of my house. Mangos are falling all around Tanzania this time of year espically from the 5 mango trees in my backyard. The loud noise is unsettling to wake up to, to say the least!
November and December is peak mango season. Little kids have been threatening to climb the fence and steal mangos. I don't really mind if the kids take a bunch of mangos because there are so many to go around....

Two days to go until the big day. Everyone here is talking about the election. Everyone's asking me who will win....Based on the polls its obvious now, but electoral votes are different and it looks like both Obama and McCain are concentrating on swing states. I'm guilty of not registering at the American embassy in Dar Es Salaam so I won't be able to vote.

My three dogs are doing well, but I'm getting concerned about Obama. For the last two or three days, he hasn't been himself. The other morning I saw a few drops of blood outside my door. Then I saw a broken light bulb sitting in the dirt, next to where he was sleeping :( He was foaming saliva out of his mouth this afternoon and decided he wanted to be by himself. I hope he feels better soon. And most importantly I hope its not some sort of a sign of what will happen to Obama, the presidential candidate!:)

Work is going well. One of the AMOS in the Ob/Gyn department is taking his annual leave next week. That will mean more work for me and the other AMO working in the department. More cases to do in the OR and more time to spend in the ward. I don't mind at all, treating the patients here is very rewarding and there is so much pathology....

No trick or treating for me this year. Halloween doesn't exist in Tanzania:( I have to live vicariously through the pictures of all the halloween parties posted on facebook! Looks like everyone had a good time, some people more than others!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great updates :-) It was really amazing to watch the election coverage when they announced that Obama won. I'll never forget it.