Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Full Moon

We had a full moon the other night. Maybe it was the moon's effect but a few strange things have been happening around here. At work its been unusually busy! Not a bad thing, just more work..... And one of the AMOs in the department is on 'likizo' (Vacation). The other AMO in the department is away at a teaching seminar. Thursday I spent most of the day doing ward rounds in Maternity. Almost a full day of rounding on patients because there are a ton of antepartum, post partum and gyn patients. After the ward rounds i went to clinic to see patients and then after clinic I went to ultrasound to scan a dozen or so patients.
Yesterday was a OR day. Did 4 hysterectomies (three vaginal hysterectomies and one abdominal hysterectomy) plus one cerclage placement. I took a short break for tea and bread around noon otherwise was busy in the OR operating all day. Was pretty tired after operations but still had more to do..... about a dozen or so patients were waiting in clinic and a few waiting for ultrasound. I was happy to be finished with all of the work by about half past 6.

The short rains are starting to come. Its nice because the weather cools off and we get a nice breeze from the ocean. The rains and the wind are causing a ton of my mangos to ripen and fall. This moring I went around picking up mangos in my back yard. I found thirty-two fresh mangos....... it felt like I was on an easter egg hunt. (Not that I have much experience in easter egg hunting:) but now I know what that's like). There are so many mangos that I end up giving most of them away. Otherwise if I eat them all I'd end up with some sort of mango toxicity!

In two weeks I'll be traveling to Dar Es Salaam for the annual VSO conference. Its a 3 day conference for all of the volunteers in Tanzania to come together to share stories about the work that's being done and to discuss issues during the past year and talk about future plans. Definitely looking forward to the conference.

Hope everyone is well at home and enjoyed Thanksgiving! Till next time......Badaaye (Later...)

No comments: