Thursday, January 15, 2009

Giza


Giza means darkness in Kiswahili. If you say giza, everyone generally understands that you mean that there is darkness because the sun has set or because there is no electricity and therefore no light! The latter has been the case here in Lindi the past couple of days! From morning until evening, we've had no electricity. When there's no electricity I still see alot of patients in clinic but the patient's can't get any labs drawn and can't get any imaging. If you saw the scene at the hospital today, you would have seen a ton of frustrated, tired patients waiting around for the electricity to return. Fortunately we don't loose electricity that often so on days when we do have electricity, I end up scanning a ton of patients in ultrasound.
This evening I got lucky, the power returned just before sunset. I wasn't so lucky last night. The power didn't return until around nine at night.
I took the picture above last night. I am a fan of candle light dinners; but not when I'm eating alone! Especially when I'm eating alone at home in the dark by the light of a couple of candles! Fortunately that doesn't happen too often, but when it does, its depressing!
Tomorrow is an operating day. There are a couple of laparotomies for adnexal masses and one excisional biopsy for a breast mass. I also promised the students at the COTC that I would teach tomorrow. I postponed my lecture today because there was no electricity. There is chalk and a chalkboard but I've been preferring to give power point lectures. And I can't use the projector when we don't have power.
I finally booked a flight back to the US. February 12th I'm flying KLM. Connecting through Amsterdam and then flying into Washington DC. I'll be in the States for 3 weeks! Definitely looking forward to the time home. I want to visit everyone! But its also easier if everyone comes to DC to visit! You are welcome to stay with my parents,:) sorry I don't have any permanent residence in the States these days to invite you to visit me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gooԁnesѕ! Amazіng article dude! Mаny thаnks, Hοwever I am
goіng through issues wіth your RSS. I ԁon't understand why I cannot join it. Is there anybody having identical RSS issues? Anybody who knows the answer can you kindly respond? Thanx!!

Here is my blog post; bucket truck

Anonymous said...

Mу brοther recommended Ӏ might like
this wеb ѕite. Ηe was totallу right.
This post actually made my day. You can not іmagine simрly hοw
much time I had spent for thіs informаtiοn!
Thanκѕ!

my web page :: dfw seo

Anonymous said...

If you're looking for new methods to increase your cooking food, but aren't positive how -- then your search is over. This post is made to help you discover ways to enhance your cooking expertise with plenty recommendations that could be applied in the direction of your preparing food. Take a peek and find out what information you can aquire which will help you feel a much better prepare. [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]Be57u7jder[/url]

Anonymous said...

In the event that the feet are dry and scaly feeling and looking, try using a oil jelly product or service to treat them. Apply a large sum on the ft and include them heavy socks at nighttime before heading to sleep. Your toes will process the dampness from the petrol jelly and can quickly appearance and feel significantly better. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Obse8ighve[/url]

Anonymous said...

Remarκable! Its actually remаrkable pіece of wгiting,
Ι have gοt muсh cleaг idea аbout fгom thіs piece of wгіtіng.



Mу ωeblog - digital tens units