Monday, January 19, 2009

Trouble Makers



In the middle of my clinic this morning, two of the COTC students informed me that there is a "special case" in labor and delivery - a "cord prolapse".

I ran over to L&D to find a laboring patient with a cord prolapsed out of the introitus about 4-5 cm and a baby in footling breech presentation. I was surprised to find a fetal heart rate, although the baby was in acute distress with a prolonged bradycardia. I called for emergency cesarian section and the patient was rushed to the OR. In the OR I "splashed" the abdomen with an antispeptic solution and started my "crash" c-section. What we found when entering the uterus were two girls weighing 2.0kg and 2.45 kg both with apgars of 9/10 sitting in breech presentation.

I finished clinic around 3 this afternoon and then passed the ward to find the baby sisters and mother doing well.

No comments: