Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Thirty-something



Watching paint dry. That's about as exciting as my birthday has been today. I'm exaggerating a bit, but nothing special has happened nor have I planned anything special for my B-day. I went into work as usual this morning. I did one cervical cerclage for a woman with an incompetant cervix this morning and then I went to the clinic. Clinic was very busy today, lot of overflow from the new year's holiday. I saw twenty-two patients by mid afternoon and then scanned about a dozen patients in ultrasound. Today was UTI (urinary tract infection) day in clinic because about seven or eight patients came with a urinary tract infection. There were also a few interesting cases. I saw one woman with a very large abdomino-pelvic mass which may be an ovarian malignancy. She will have an operation next week. I saw two patients with cancer - one with a bladder cancer and another with metastatic breast cancer. I expect both patients will be referred to Dar es Salaam for treatment.

I finished work around 5 and then went home. Hadija, my housekeeper, prepared an excellent meal - baked fish, rice and vegetables. It was the highlight of my day. I am planning to celebrate this weekend. On Friday I'm going to go the popular bar Santorini with a few colleagues to get a drink or two and then I expect to go dancing at Magereza's "Social Club" after. There is always "bongo flava" music playing until early hours of the morning.....

I'm planning my trip back to the States. Hopefully by early February. Hope my friends and family will have some free time in February. I want to visit everyone. We'll see how that goes!

Sorry I don't have any interesting pictures to post today. Despite the expression on my face I am happy its my Bday but not too thrilled I'm another year older!

1 comment:

dhorlic said...

Happy birthday! We'll celebrate when you come home :-)